Sunday, April 19, 2009

There’s more to Facebook than adding friends.

I was chatting with my very media-savvy friend when she informed me that Facebook is becoming passé. News to me. She told me that most people are realizing that their friend list can’t possibly grow at the rate that it did when they first joined and that they have already added everyone they know. So – what’s the point?

Doh!

These are the same people who go to networking events, get business cards, give business cards, and then forget about the cards until they end up soggy from the washer.

Worse than that, I few months ago - I received this message from one of my Facebook 'friends'

"hey,

since we don't really speak on a regular basis, im removing you from my list. no offence, i just wanna keep my list to people that im in relatively constant contact with."

I swear, someone actually sent out that message. and Yes, I did find that offensive - and sad. Obviously, he missed a huge point of all this facebook stuff.

I think that guy and the 'passé' people doing two things very wrong.

1. If they don't have more people to add, they need to log off their computers…go out into the real world and connect with real flesh-and-blood human beings. (then they can rush home and add them to the friend list)

2. Remember to give those on your list some TLC – connect! Develop relationships. Build a network. Do the pokey-pokey. That’s what it’s all about.

I get stuff all the time. People offer me stuff. People help me with stuff. Others think I'm lucky. I am not lucky. I spend a lot of time building relationships. I e-mail and call people when it's their birthday. Even if I haven't talked to them since high-school (and even if I never actually spoke to them when were in high school). People love to receive wishes on their birthday. It makes them feel special and it takes less than a 2 minutes out of my day.

I comment on people's photographs - telling them when their babies are cute, and when they look great. It makes people feel warm and fuzzy. When people feel warm and fuzzy, they are more likely to help you out if you need...let's say...a referral, or an introduction, or some advice.

I've met some outstanding people recently through public speaking engagements and I have been spreading the message of how important it is for people to connect. I wish more people felt the same.

No comments: