Sunday, March 8, 2009

I am a yoga dropout.

again.

I don't have an answer for this, so I'll just put it out there into cyberspace and see what happens. I have yoga guilt.

I don't love yoga, and I seem to be terrible at it due to my very short arms and non-existant torso, but I feel like I should be doing it because it's healthy and it's supposed to clear your mind or whatever. But every time I go, I get frustrated at how much I suck at it and how boring it is to actually clear you mind. So I feel guilty.

Is yoga guilt a Jewish thing? Lord knows we have a monopoly on guilt.

So I've spent the past week doing Bikram Yoga, which is yoga in a room that's heated to 37 degrees celsius. My body does not tolerate heat well, so I thought this would be a nice challenge. Suprisingly, I enjoyed the heat and find it did help me relax and stretch.

The thing about yoga is it supposed to help you cultivate patience. But so is trying to move a pen across the table with your mind. Just because they say it's supposed to happen, doesn't mean it will....sigh....

I think it's time I bind my downward dog and take it for a hike!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know...I hate yoga too. I did it a couple of weeks ago and found it boring. I get why it's good for you but unlike a cardio class, I felt really unproductive and just found my mind wandering to things I should be doing at home. FYI, that's called Mother's Guilt and I believe it's just as strong as Jewish Guilt...

Megan said...

Have you tried Pilates? I've never done a yoga class...holding poses that aggravate my knees for long period of time sounds both boring and painful. Pilates, on the other hand, uses a lot of the same poses (downward dog, for example) but is more active and interesting IMHO. I went once or twice a week in Vancouver but haven't done any since the move.