Monday, July 21, 2008

My Swedish Marriage Counsellor

I recently heard the expression 'Divorce Dust', referring to a relationship crumbling under the stress of home renovation. I have never gone through it myself, but yesterday,I did a smaller-scale test of the health of my own marriage.

Wanna know if you're gonna last? Nothing tells you faster than putting together Ikea furniture with your mate. The wood and screws within those boxes become a microcosm of your relationship how fantastic, and how flawed it is. Our Swedish Marriage counsellor was named Granas, and came in the form of a glass-top kitchen table and four chairs. Here is the finished result of our counselling session.





I am extremely proud of the outcome. This from two people who can barely knock nails into the wall created a functional piece of furniture. What the morning table-building session proved to me, was how great of a team we are. We both complement eachother's shortcomings, and even though we may get ticked-off at times, we do listen and communicate when it counts.

Honey, I think we're gonna make it. Hell, we may even outlast the table.

No comments: