Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sloppy Sushi

An oxymoron, maybe. I have always admired the Japanese culture for creating such beautiful, neat, precise art and food. I am not Japanese. Nor am I neat.

In trying to keep with my sushi-obsessed husband when he's Jonesing for sushi, I created this salad one day. It's basically a big California Roll in a bowl, and I've found it to be a hit at Potlucks and BBQ's.

Micki's California Un-roll Salad

1 pkg imitation crab meat
2 cups Sushi rice, cooked and cooled
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 cucumber, cut into thin strips
1 ripe, mashed avocado
toasted sesame seeds - I toast mine myself in a toaster oven
toasted nori leaves, crumbled - the dark roasted seaweed. You can find it at most grocery stores, or any Asian market

Dressing: - Measurements are all to taste. Experiment with what you like best. It's hard to screw up.

rice vinegar
soy sauce
minced ginger
wasabi

Mix salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients together, pour over salad and mix. Refrigerate. Measurements are all to taste.

No comments: