have you ever said that phrase? Well, for all intensive purposes, let's pretend that you came out of a toilet stall, with a huge wad of TP stuck to the back of your pants. Imagine nobody told you?
Well, that's how I felt this afternoon when I found out that , for all intensive purposes, I've been saying that phrase completely wrong! There's no such thing as 'all intensive purposes.' The correct phrase is ' for all intents and purposes!'
Says the wise wise wiki...
-------------------------------------------------------
The correct phrase is "to all intents and purposes." This phrase dates back to the 1500s and originated in English law, where it was "to all intents, constructions, and purposes." In modern usage, "for all intents and purposes" is also acceptable. The phrase means "for all practical purposes" and is generally used to compare two nonidentical acts or deeds, i.e., "She went to his room and drank with him, which he viewed - for all intents and purposes -as consent to sex." A shorter equivalent phrase is "in effect."
When used in a strictly legal sense, the wording would be "intent and purposes," as it refers to one's mental attitude/state at the time said action occurred.
A common malapropism is "for all intense and purposes" (also, "for all intensive purposes") a result of the original phrase being misheard and repeated.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which poses a few questions:
a) Has anyone else ever used the phrase 'for all intensive purposes', and not been corrected?
b) If Wiki is so good with grammar lessons, and the Wii is a damn fine sitter then why do we still send our kids to school?
3) Why is it that everytime a girl carries a cosmo to a bedroom with a dude, is she seen as a slut-bag, maybe she's just thirsty?
but I digress....
I know that there were no yummy recipes in this post. But I hope I made you laugh, made you think, enlightened you a smiggin' and prevented you from sounding a little less gauche in public.
smooches!
No comments:
Post a Comment