Saturday, May 16, 2009

Beyond Hummus

Part of my background is Israeli so I grew up eating hummus. If you've ever watched 'Zohan' you know what I mean. Hummus went mainstream over the past decade or so and people from all cultures have been making their own very healthy, very easy dip. However, lots have found that once the hummus is gone, they have 1/2 a jar of Tahini left in their fridge and aren't sure what to do with it.

I'd love to share with you 2 recipes for equally delicious, easy healthy, vegan dips using tahini that do not use chickpeas at all. I love them both and I invite you to give them a try.

Onion Tahini Dip

2 large onions
4 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp vinegar (I use sherry vinegar)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Bake onions in a 350 preheated oven for 30 mins. Remove and allow to cool. Place with remaining ingredients in a food processor, then process into paste.

Sweet Potato Tahini Dip

1 jar baby food sweet potatoes (or you could bake and mash your own. the baby food is a shortcut)
4 tbsp tahini
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup parsley, finely minced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Salt and pepper

Combine by hand

About Tahini. If you've never bought it before, you will definitely find it in Middle Eastern specialty stores, or any grocery store with a Middle Eastern ethnic section. You will also find it at most health food stores, around where they sell the nut butters. I find it costs a lot more in the health food store.

No comments: