Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My new Workout Philosophy, lessons learned from my Crockpot.

An Inspiration Junkie finds philosophical insights from anywhere and everywhere, even kitchen appliances. Today I made a chicken stew using my crockpot, letting it simmer all day. It was great to come home to a prepared dinner and the stew tasted awesome. I’ve made stews before using my stovetop and they came out equally as good. Naturally, this made me think of the gym.

At the peak of my fitness, I was working out 2-2.5 hours a day, at moderate intensity. I call this the crockpot method. I got the results I had wanted. The problem was that it wasn’t practical to devote all my time to lengthy workouts, so over time I maintained the same intensity, and shortened my workout time. Eventually this backfired all the results I worked for were lost. I was devastated and went through over 2 years of disheartened half-assed working out. Over the past two months, I’ve tried something different. Short workouts. (20-45 mins) Butt-kicking, limbs on fire short workouts. I am going to call this the stovetop method, and I’ve been seeing some results.

Yesterday, while stirring my stew, I realized that both the crockpot and the stovetop will yield a delicious final product. I just have to pick one cooking method and stick with it. One cannot make a stew on a low temperature for a short time – that just gets you flabby, half-raw chicken.

A related aside: I was a little nervous leaving my crockpot unattended while I was at the office yesterday – in case the house burned down. I thought that I should probably install a webcam so that I can watch it simmer from my computer at work. Like they do with daycare. What do you think of that idea?

No comments: